The engine doesn't work but, the grill sure does!

There is something very significant about this particular post. It is the first I have written and posted from the boat. I have a wifi signal!!! 

I picked up an Alfa wifi antenna and extender. The antenna catches distant signals and the extender works almost like a router and allows multiple devices to connect to the signals from the antenna in the new location. I haven't received the extender yet but, the antenna works well on its own plugged into my computer via USB. Works well considering the signal is coming from the marina office some 300 yards away. Lets just say I won't be streaming the Game of Thrones episodes I've missed down on the boat anytime soon.

That's the good news. The bad is that the engine won't start on the boat. She has a Detroit Diesel 3-53 that started right up in January when I was here. Not so much now. I've diagnosed the issue to air in the fuel system. Figuring out how to purge that air is the tricky part for me now. GM decided to omit any handy features like a purge pump so fixing the issue consists of me bleeding each filter and pressurizing the tank over and over again. We'll get her started i'm not too worried. The positive is that I've learned a bit about the engine and fuel system with all of this fiddling. 

It has been rainy and somewhat cold here the last couple of days so outdoor work on the boat is somewhat at a stand still. The rain has revealed a few leaks. One minor from a dorade box that happens to drip right into galley sink. One much more unfortunate that leaks through the foremast boot and directly into my bed in the V berth. I messed around with waterproofing spray on the boot but it didn't seem to solve the issue as Otto and I found out with quite damp blankets in the middle of the night. He didn't appreciate me thinking he might have wet the bed. 

As some of you may know, the Blue Starr needs a new mainmast and probably a new foremast as well. This is partly why I was able to afford her. I have decided that i'd like to shape the masts myself for two reasons. One, the cost. To have a mast built in one of the shops around here is roughly $12,000 US which is way out of my budget. Two, any woodworking experience I can gain is a major plus since I think that is important when living on a wooden boat. So I am happy to report that I have received a few quotes for two Douglas Fir utility poles (untreated) in the $1200 range. We may be sailing this year yet! 

The engine woes lead me to take a little break this week and do some grilling for dinner. The dinner was great but, also left me with a longing to be doing the same after a long days sail to a remote island in the San Juans or Broken Group in BC. One day we will be there.